To prove our point, Tucson is the first city in the world to partner with the California company, ByFusion, to turn discarded plastic into construction-grade building blocks. The city will spend $1 million over four years on the initiative, as well as $2.4 million building a new facility at the Los Reales Sustainability Campus. The facility will house ByFusion’s operations and eventually include office or storage space. As part of the agreement, 10% of ByBlock’s production will be supplied to the city.
This project is a significant step forward for Tucson in its efforts to reduce plastic waste. ByFusion’s technology can be used to recycle a wide variety of plastic materials, including those that are typically difficult to recycle. This means that a much larger portion of Tucson’s plastic waste can be diverted from landfills and incinerators.
In addition to the environmental benefits, this project also has the potential to create jobs and boost the local economy. ByFusion estimates that the project will create 25 new jobs in Tucson. The company also plans to purchase materials and services from local businesses, which will further benefit the community.
This is a great product for affordable housing, green homes, commercial buildings, retaining walls, sound walls, sheds, privacy fencing, pony walls, terracing/landscaping, accent walls, furniture etc.
Revolutionizing Waste Management
But wait, there is more, a lot more!
- No glues or adhesives required means you save time with quicker installation: ByBlock blocks can be stacked directly on top of each other, without the need for glue or adhesives. This makes installation faster and easier than with traditional concrete blocks.
- 83% less CO2 emissions than concrete blocks: ByBlock blocks are made from recycled plastic, which requires less energy to produce than concrete. This results in 83% fewer CO2 emissions than concrete blocks.
- Won’t crack or crumble like standard concrete blocks: ByBlock blocks are made from a dense, high-quality plastic that is resistant to cracking and crumbling. This makes them more durable than standard concrete blocks.
- Zero waste process – 1 ton of plastic makes 1 ton of ByBlock: The production of ByBlock blocks does not generate any waste. All of the plastic used to make the blocks is recycled, and there is no need for any additional materials or energy.
- No specialized labor required: ByBlock blocks can be installed by anyone, with no specialized skills or training required. This makes them a cost-effective and easy-to-use building material.