This is great simple, healthy, gluten free, and flexible recipe. I have given the basics below.
Feel free to spice it up or add your favorite ingredients to fit your taste. I like to sprinkle salt and pepper over the mixture before baking.
I have also added chopped jalapenos or used cilantro and garlic with sliced black olives.
However you like it you can make it happen. like I said, this is a very flexible recipe.
Just bake it until it is spotty browned on top and is no longer custard like in the center.
Darren’s Basic Farinata Recipe (Cinque é Cinque Bread)
- 1 cup Chickpea Flour
- 1 + 3/4 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt or teaspoon Table Salt
- 1 teaspoon, at least, ground Black Pepper
- 5 tablespoons Olive oil, divided
- 1/2 large Onion, thinly sliced, optional
- 1 tablespoon fresh Rosemary leaves, optional.
1. Sift chickpea flour into a bowl; add salt, then slowly add the water, whisking to eliminate lumps. Stir in 2 tablespoons olive oil. Cover, and let sit for 4 hours or overnight. (You can let it sit for one hour but you will have to skim off the foam.) The batter will thicken and should be about the consistency of heavy cream.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add 2-3 tablespoons oil into heated pan, swirl to cover pan evenly. When the oil is hot add onion and let it cook for one minute. Pour in batter and sprinkle top with Rosemary.
3. Drizzle a little olive oil over top and bake for 20-40 minutes until it is no longer custardy in the middle and it is firm with the edges set. Turn on broiler and broil top for a minute or two until it takes on a golden brown, spotty color.
4. Allow to set for a few minutes and then carefully remove from pan to a cutting board using two spatulas. Allow to cool briefly. Cut into wedges and season generously with black pepper. Best served warm.